Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Special Occasion Dinner

Kia Ora,

Last Friday, we had our Special Occasion Dinner. It was a dinner put on by our Year 12 Hospitality and Catering class. There was 13 students in the class that helped participate to make it all possible. Each student chose 1 person to invite to the event but at last minute, some people cancelled. I had started out by inviting Mr. Collins, my NZ History teacher but when spots opened due to cancelations, I was also able to invite both of my host parents which was really nice. Two people who got automatic invitations were Mr. John Wright and his wife Jan.
Overall, this was definitely not a first year cooking assignment. We did everything to make this happen (e.g. budget, invitation list, meals, prep plan, production plan, service plan, and then certain rolls people would play.) I was elected to be the Executive Chef for the night. Our mains served that evening were Beef Stroganoff, Apricot Chicken, and Vegetarian Lasagna. In all, it was a 5 course meal served to the guests for a small cost of $15. After the meal was finished, my catering teacher, Mrs. Huntley Smith, gave a small speech and introduced Maile Comstock as the Restaurant Manager and myself as the Executive Chef. The most common comment after the meal was, “That was the best $15 I have ever spent.” Overall, my host parents were very satisfied and said all good things about it. I was also VERY pleased with the meal and I learned how to make very fancy dishes.
I don’t have many plans coming up for the next week ahead. I am going to my Gateway Orientation this coming weekend. It will take place about 3 hours south of where I am living in New Zealand. It is Lake Whakamaru. I am quite excited for it because I will get to see one of my mates that I flew over on the plane with from Minnesota. After the Gateway Orientation I have one more important thing to look forward too and that’s my vacation time off! Starting on September 22nd, I am given two weeks off for teachers to start preparing for final exams. This will be a time for my family to show me more of New Zealand and the good chance of getting to see New Zealand flying through the air (sky diving!). It has always been something that I have wanted to do!
Well I will keep in touch! Again, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email. I respond quite fast. I have also inserted a few photos of my host family and myself, along with my host brother Chris, and his wife Tracey. There is also a picture at the dinner on Friday night.
Thanks!



2 comments:

Lynne said...

Josh, Looks like you're having a great time Mr. Executive Chef!!! Have a great vacation coming up and don't forget the magnet!! Lynne

Naomi Bodway said...

Can't wait for you to cook dinner for us! I will say a little extra prayer for your mom while you are sky diving! Should be fun, and I hope you really enjoy it! Not too much new in Osseo...the football team has 2 wins, so it is already a better season than last year. Hooray! The kids are eating planning of pizza in your absence, but we do miss you! Keep exploring the world! What a wonderful thing to do!

Hugs, Naomi