Monday, September 1, 2008

Scallop Fest & Hot Water Beach!

Hello again! As you know, I worked at the local scallop fest this past week in Whitianga. I worked with my cooking and catering class from school. We made scallops in shells and cooked them over a grill. We put 3 scallops in each shell, added a touch of white wine, and a ½ teaspoon of garlic butter. These were a hot ticket! They weren’t as popular as the kebabs we made though. Some mates and I from school spent hours on the Friday before the festival wrapping the kebabs with bacon and scallops. We had a total of 40kgs of scallops set to be cooked on that Saturday. We started work at 8:30a.m and made sure everything was in set order. At 9:30, people started coming in flocks! I was selected to cook the scallops in shells with my Head Principal, John Wright. We were soooo busy. We were supposed to serve food until around 5:30p.m that night but we ran out of all 40kgs of scallops at 1:30p.m! We had people come up to us and say, “Got anymore kebabs?” and we just said no. They kept asking, “Well didn’t you make enough?” and we explained that last year we made 9kgs of scallops into kebabs and this year we did 23kgs and we still ran out of them! In the end, we ended up grossing over $5000 in food which was very good.
Then on Sunday, I got to hang out with one of my best mates from school, Fraser. Myself, Fraser, and Fraser’s mum went to Hot Water Beach which is a very popular spot in the north island. It is made from a fault in the earth and it warms up water under the ground. We dig holes in the beach and hot water comes through. It took me and Fraser quite a while to find an alright spot where we could tolerate the heat of the water. The first pool we sat in had BOILING water. My host mum said their kids used to boil eggs in the water. Overall, it was a very relaxing day J
Lastly, I forgot to mention all the fun I had the weekend before (haha). I got to go work at my host brother’s house. My host brother, Chris, is building a retaining wall to level out his yard. It was kind of wet but we managed. I have attached some pictures to show you what it was like! I hope you enjoyed this week’s blog post! I am scrambling for time some days so if you want more information, feel free to email me! Thanks!

No comments: