Saturday, October 11, 2008

Giant Jumbo Muffin!

Kia ora everyone! Sorry my blog is late this week! I just have not had a lot to write yet. Not too much going on lately besides the weather being rubbish. The first week of holiday break was really nice and sunny and now the second week has turned cloudy and windy! Oh well though. No school so why complain? (haha).
On Thursday night, I helped in the cafe and then later that night, my host mum came in with her night crew and chefs to practice some of the main dishes that will be served. The cafe won't open for nights until next Saturday so we got to try a bunch of main dishes which was nice. I was also able to learn a few things from the chefs as well. I was also able to meet my host sister for the first time this week as well. My host sister Shelly, who lives in Ashburton (south island), was up visiting with her son's Greg, Nick, and James. James lives in Hamilton which is only 2 hours from us. It was nice to get to know them. My host brother Chris is my mum's son. Shelly is my dad's daughter.
I suppose you all are wondering why I titled this blog "Giant Jumbo Muffin"? Well it is a funny story really (haha). It started with a text message I got from Nina one day. Nina is the Austrian girl in one of my past photos. She was joking about me being fat from all the food I eat and came up with the name "Jumbo Muffin." I told my host mum about it and she said "At the rate you’re going, you will be a GIANT jumbo muffin!" So the phrases went together and that’s how it came about. Kind of funny!
I also have tried to schedule another trip. In the middle of December, I am trying to get down to Wellington (the capital) to visit the city and sites there. I would be going there with an exchange student/students as well. We would take a plane down there and then possibly a train back. The train back would be a great idea I think because you would see so much of the north island. It would be about a 6-8 hour ride in a train across beautiful country. I love to travel so I will be doing lots of it while I am here I think.
Lastly, I was able to make it to my first movie in NZ. My mate Fraser and I went to see Hellboy 2 in the movie cinema a few days ago. It was quite nice to get out and do something different. Fraser's mum has also raised her hand to be my leason. My leason is someone that I will be able to contact if I have a problem arrise or need a place to stay if my host family has a family emergency. Fraser's mum's name is Robyn. It is nice having her as my leason because she works in Whitanga so Fraser and her both ride the ferry across in the morning with me and the other students.
As I mentioned, I don’t have a lot to post this week besides school starts again on Monday. I would just like to add before I conclude this post, I would like to thank the Ron and Gen Johnson for the package of lollies (candy) I got from them. It was great to get American candy and chips! My host family loved the chips as well! Thanks for that. I know there are things that I plan to write in my blog posts that I forget about so if I do forget something major, I will make sure to include it in my next blog post. And as a reminder, don’t hesitate to email me with anything! Thanks for reading and I will make the blog more interesting I hope next week! Cheers!

ps. The pictures below is of Norman and I at a bonfire beach gathering and then a picture with a bunch of my mates from school.


No comments: