Friday, July 18, 2008

Life in Kiwi Land

Hello to everyone again! I am presently sitting at orientation in a small town about an hour south or Auckland. Our plane landed on the 18th of July around 5:40a.m. It was an 12 hour flight across the Pacific Ocean. The year long students from the states met up with us when we landed in Auckland. At the airport we got to meet other students from Chile, Argentina, and Brazil. All of us are extremely tired and trying with our best efforts to battle the time change. Orientations actually started the day we landed. When we were at the airport we had a 1 hour shuttle to the orientation site. The group leaders told us we were not going to sit in meetings at all. They said the main goal is to keep us awake and force us to sleep at night and have us awake when its day. So after saying that, we had all been awake for over 36 hours, unless you slept some on the plane. I however, slept only an hour because of some bad turbulence. I must add in, the plane meals were very good. During our first meal, we were served chicken cacciatore, which for anyone who doesn’t know, is chicken mixed with peppers, tomatoes, and sauces. It is also served with orzo pasta and peas. For breakfast we had the choice of many things such as fresh fruit, muffins or bagels, cereal, and a sausage breakfast wrap. (We did not starve). At the orientations today, we got to meet several people from all over the world. These countries include: Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, France, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Canada. The Canadians that arrived are the ones who live in Quebec and speak French and very little English.
Now onto host parents! My chapter (area) president picked me up today from the orientation site and brought me to a meeting point where my host parents were. My host parents then took my up some of the worst roads I’ve ever been on in my life. If you think Pleasantville is bad, you haven’t seen anything yet!!! My host parents have a very nice house and it feels very much like home. It is kind of weird in New Zealand because I have only been here a few days and I’m already using many New Zealand words. Please check back sometime later for another post! School starts on Monday! I’m kind of nervous! Talk to you later!

1 comment:

Naomi Bodway said...

Josh, it just gives me goose bumps to hear about all of your adventures and to think of the incredible experiences that await you! I had to laugh when you mentioned the curvy roads and Pleasantville, because my Dad actually got car sick when we were in New Zealand! We found the people to be very friendly and grounded, and the country/culture to be fascinating. I trust you will experience the same. We can't wait for your next update! Take care, do us proud,and enjoy the adventure! What a wonderful thing to be doing!

Naomi