Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Stormy Weather in the North Island!

Hello everyone! So what have I been doing lately? To tell you the truth, not a whole lot (haha). I was suppose to have a “Ball” last Saturday but I wasn’t able to attend do to a high powered storm that hit the north island hard causing horrible damage to houses and to electricity. Parts of Auckland were without power for 2-3 days. And because they were without power, they were not able to get water with pressure and they were not able to cook unless they had a fire. At my house outside of Hahei, we were without power for a little over a day. So therefore, because I did not go to the ball, my host mom and I had a “read off” in candle light. We had 10-15 candles going so we could see. We also cooked our meal over the fire. There is another storm that started last night (Tuesday) and will continue through and hit more harshly on Wednesday.

Now about my school. It has been going great but it is still very different and hard to adjust to. However, I am very glad I decided to take a cooking class. I am able to learn about many New Zealand foods and how to prepare them. My host mum and I were talking about the differences in American food and New Zealand food. You probably wouldn’t think there is much difference BUT there is. The weird thing is not the differences in the food, it’s the differences in taste. The hamburgers here, taste way different than the burgers back home. (I prefer Wisconsin burgers). Some other unique things about New Zealand so far is they don’t have “Yield” signs. Their signs say “Give Way.” McDonald’s also seems way different, even though I have only eaten it once since I have been here and that was at the airport. At the counter, they ask if it’s for sit down, or take away. They also have the “Kiwi Burger” which is a popular burger for New Zealand people like the Big Mac is a popular burger for American people.

I don’t want to keep on blabbing here so I will stop now. Nothing has been overly exciting yet so hopefully next week I will have lots more to tell. Stop by next week and I should have another post available to read. At the bottom, I have added a picture showing where I am living in New Zealand (red star). Thanks for reading!!!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Hey Josh, I'm enjoying your messages. What an adventure! Facing those daunting experiences like a new strange school will only make you stronger. First couple of weeks are the hardest. Glad you are enjoying cooking. Your Dad brought us lots of goodies from the garden last night - you should see the cukes - over a foot long and skinney. Taste good. Sarah and Dustin had a baby boy - Blaine Laffe this morning. Sarah said the baby has more hair than Dustin! I noticed that pictures of you and all the girls - glad to see you are the same as ever! You'll have to share some New Zealand reciepes when you get home. Have fun! Margaret.

poopsie said...

Hello Josh, Sounds like a great time you are having so far . With all the differant things you will be learning. How is the BACON over there??

Love Aunt Sue